Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

I got the fire going at 5AM and put the 12 lb turkey on at 5:45. It soaked in a brine overnight in a gallon of water, cup of sugar and cup of salt, some peppercorns and bay leaves. I covered the turkey with butter and sprinkled it with sage and thyme. It was also stuffed with an onion, rosemary branches and sage sprigs. This was the first time that I was using wood and did not realize that the  flames would enter the grilling area nor that it would effect the cooking process. At about 10:00, I wanted to check the bird to start spaying it with apple juice, I found that it was burning because of the flames. I quickly moved the turkey to the other end of the cooking chamber and covered it would foil. The internal temperature was where it needed to be around 170 and 180. At 12:30, I put the mac and cheese on for an hour and took both the turkey and mac off an hour later.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lance, How are you? We are all well and enjoying Colorado. So....how did the Turkey taste? I usually take them off when they hit 165 (if I can considering meal timing) to keep it moist. Keep on smokin' -Ted

    ReplyDelete